Monday, February 16, 2009

you think you know somebody


“Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.”



But does anyone ever really know anyone? How many people can honestly say that truly know someone, even better than themselves? I don't know of one single person that I've ever known that hasn't completely shocked me at one point or another. No matter how much you think you know somebody, there will always be that day of reckoning where you can't imagine how you ever thought you knew them.

I'm not sure what causes this phenomenon exactly. Its complicated to wade through. I think that the real reason why no one can know anyone is because no one truly knows who they are. I don't know who I am. I know my opinions on some issues. I know my likes and dislikes. However, my personality traits have changed drastically over the years. This happens with most people, I have found.

So, because no one is 100% certain about who they are any specific time, how can anyone possibly hope to truly know any other person?

This thought saddens me.

But, do I really want to know anyone? Or would that just ruin it all?

No comments:

Post a Comment