Monday, November 15, 2010

"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have."

I want to go ahead and express how deeply unsatisfied I am with the coming week. It always seems to be like this the week before the holidays. And not only that, but Thursday when I make my long trek home I'll be coming home for the holidays AND for HARRY POTTER. Really, I hope my professors don't expect much out of this week. I know they're going to though. I have a final project due Wednesday that I haven't yet started on. Whatever.

Can we talk briefly about Harry Potter? Would that be too annoying? I feel like it's all I ever talk about here recently. Personally, I think it's understandable. I mean, this is the beginning of the end of a huge piece of my life. I know that sounds sad but I grew up reading Harry Potter and then watching the movies--at times talking about everything that was wrong about them but I digress. I seriously feel like Harry Potter has always been there. Like Disney movies, you know? You can always count on there being another one in a few years. When the last book came out, obviously I had been to the midnight release (as I had for several other HP book releases) and I read the thing through without sleeping. I remember being so tired at one point that I had to literally slap my face to stay awake. I went through so many Kleenex that by the time I finished I was emotionally exhausted. I felt like it had happened to me. Even then, I was so sad that there wouldn't be another Potter book. But I had something to cheer me up: at least there was a few more movies left to watch. Well, not anymore. Now there's just two.

Obviously, I'll be okay when it's all over. Eventually. But, the thing about saying goodbye to something you really love is that it never fully goes away. When you're turning those final pages of a book--or series rather--it's almost as if this overwhelming feeling of dread sneaks up on you. Like, maybe if I read a little slower this feeling will last a little longer. It's like the last few months of high school when you're trying to come to terms with the fact that you'll never be the same. They call it "The End" for a reason. Maybe you have to be an old softy and geek at heart to truly understand, I don't know. But sometimes it's almost painful to let go. All of that anticipation waiting to FINALLY see what happens turns immediately to something completely different upon reaching the end. I guess that's how it has to be though. Stories need endings and people need closure. You can't really have one without the other.

For me, watching these last two Harry Potter movies is just prolonging the inevitable. I knew way back in 2007 how badly I wanted the story to continue forever. Closing the book on your own childhood is never an easy thing. One of the hardest things in life is growing up and realizing that there is no Hogwarts, there is no Santa Clause, and those characters at Disney World are actually really hot and irritated people. You learn that things don't always turn out the way you think they should and people, well they'll constantly disappoint you. Parents are people who are just as fucked up as you are and everyone makes mistakes. Your friends will let you down and you'll have your heart broken more times than you'd like. Even still, "We'll always have Paris" as they say. We'll always be able to look back fondly on our childhood favorites and maybe feel a tiny glimmer of what we felt the first time.

As for the story of Harry Potter, I'd like to quote Mr. Stephen King: "No ending can be right, because it shouldn't be over at all. The magic is not supposed to go away.

Rowling will almost certainly go on to other works, and they may be terrific, but it won't be quite the same, and I'm sure she knows that. Readers will be able to go back and reread the existing books — as I've gone back to Tolkien, as my wife goes back to Patrick O'Brian's wonderful sea stories featuring Captain Aubrey and Dr. Maturin, as others do with novels featuring Travis McGee or Lord Peter Wimsey — and rereading is a great pleasure, but it's not the bated-breath, what's-gonna-happen-next suspense that Potter readers have enjoyed since 1997. And, of course, Harry's audience is different. It is, in large part, made up of children who will be experiencing these unique and rather terrible feelings for the first time.

But there's comfort. There are always more good stories, and now and then there are great stories. They come along if you wait for them."

And what exactly is wrong with being a big super geek in the first place? You know what, I'll watch my movies in Swedish and I'll read my freaking comic books and I'll quote Star Wars and Harry Potter until the day I die. So, there.

No comments:

Post a Comment